Pd (aka Pure Data) is a real-time graphical programming environment for audio, video, and graphical processing. It is the third major branch of the family of graphical patcher programming languages known as Max (Max/FTS, ISPW Max, Max/MSP, jMax, etc.) originally developed by Miller Puckette and company at IRCAM.
Pd is free open source software and runs on Mac OSX, Linux and Windows. The extended version comes with nearly all external objects enhancing the vanilla Pd and can be downloaded from http://puredata.info/downloads
This workshop introduces Pure Data with focus on visuals in 4 days a 4 hours. Participants should bring a laptop and optional midi controllers. Fee is 80€ for all days.
Course is not set in stone and can be changed according to participants interests but it could go like this:
- introduction patching in Pd, sending messages to objects
- audio synthesis
- input via midi and Osc
- visuals with the extension Gem, basic 3D
- video textures and effects
- cam input and motion tracking
- putting together vj applications with Pd
- recap input via Midi and Osc
- video mapping
- advanced 3D
- importing models, created for instance with Blender, Wings3d
Malte Steiner is Berlin based media artist and musician, working with Pd since late 90s, using it in compositions, interactive installations and live performances.http://www.block4.com